Friday 19 October 2012

Fruit Toast!

Melting butter over lightly toasted cinnamon-scented bread, packed with gooey raisins..

A cup of hot tea with lemon, slices of banana and a delicate glass of almond milk.
The sun is shining through the windows and warming your back as you open the mornings news..

Is there a better way to start your weekend?

I've had enormous cravings for fruit toast for weeks now. One of the biggest disappointments when I discovered my soy allergy was the lack of bread available - in particular fruit bread. This week I desperately needed to get my fix. So I checked out some recipes in my bread-maker book (which are usually no good - milk powder/bread improver/etc.) and compared these to my only successful bread (Sunflower and Flax Bread) to develop my own dairy, soy, egg free fruit bread.
And to great success!


I used plump Australian raisins available at my favourite allergy-friendly shop Eumarrah, not enough cinnamon, ground ginger and cloves, and a little dried apple. I found the apple unnecessary and the recipe below has increased spices, but feel free to increase these more for a super spiced-fruit bread!

This is my first completely self-written recipe, and I am so excited by how well it's worked!
My family and I easily ate half a loaf of this bread (makes 14 fairly standard sized thin slices) straight out of the bread-oven last night, and I'm thrilled by how well it goes toasted with Nuttelex oozing over it; exactly what I was looking for.


Fruit Bread, The Ally-Way.
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage that may occur when your home smells good enough to eat.

1.5 cups Water
2 tbsp Oil (extra-virgin olive works well)
2 tbsp Agave nectar (or honey)
1.5 tsp Salt
2.5 cups Plain flour
1 cup Almond meal
0.5 cups Hazelnut meal
2 tbsp ground Flax seed
2 tbsp ground Cinnamon
2 tsp ground Ginger
2 tsp ground Cloves
1 sachet/7g Dry yeast
0.5 - 1 cup of Raisins (if these are stuck together take a moment to separate them so they disperse evenly)

Place these in your bread-maker in the order suggested above, with fruit in the fruit-nut dispenser if applicable. Select the basic white cycle for a 1kg loaf and away you go!

This bread improves when allowed to sit and dry out a little after cooking.

Makes a 1kg loaf with approximately 14 slices.
per slice: 210calories, 26g carb, 10g fat and 6g protein


I apologies for no oven baking method here, I do plan to provide a conversion method in the future. 

I must, must, must buy a camera and work on photography...

2 comments:

  1. So glad it worked for you Ally, it sounds delicious. I wonder if LSA would work in place of Almond meal and or Hazelnut meal. Something else to think about is the weights of the ingredients in your recipe. One persons cup measurement might differ from another persons measurement depending on wether they packed the ingredient into their measurement cup tightly or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! With breads like this I find I add a little more flour if it looks too wet/more water if it looks too dry, more nectar if it's not sweet enough.. so while cup measures are a great guide (I use 250mL cups) they're best for the ratio, rather than the amount!

    LSA would give great flavour! I used Hazelnut just because I had some, I don't think I'd replace any more than 1/2 cup flours with LSA (or hazelnut meal) because they're quite dense.


    LSA: Linseed (flax), Sunflower, Almond! I've used both linseed and almond meal in this recipe already, and who doesn't love sunflower seeds!

    ReplyDelete